Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

UFC 160: Junior dos Santos says Overeem is a joke

junior dos santos

On 11/03/2013, Junior dos Santos told Tatame.com that his opponent for UFC 160 Mark Hunt is a very though and strong guy, and that he needs to be very careful. On the other hand, he doesn't have a lot of nice words to say about Alistair Overeem, the man he was supposed to meet.

After Junior dos Santos lost the belt in december 2012, to Cain Velasquez, he does not want to wait any longer to try and retake the title. Junior dos Santos was scheduled to meet Alistair Overeem at UFC 160 on May 25, 2013. But the Brazilian came close to being scrapped from the card, as his opponent Alistair Overeem was injured. But Mark Hunt was more than ready to accept on short notice, to replace the Dutch fighter.

Mark Hunt currently is on a 4 fight win streak, for now the longest win streak in the UFC Heavyweight devision. Hunt comes off victories over fighters such as Stefan Struve, Cheick Kongo, Ben Rothwell and Chris Tuchscherer. Three out of four fight ended by TKO. Junior dos Santos is coming of a title loss against Cain Velasquez.

When asked about the change of the opponents, the former Heavyweight Champion says that no fighter chooses his opponent and he thanked Mark Hunt for stepping in.

"I do not pick opponents, so for me it doesn't matter who I'll face. I just need to know a date to prepare for the opponent. When Overeem dropped out, the UFC quickly found an excellent opponent, because I can not wait for the fight. Overeem is not champion, is nothing. If he was champion, I would have waited."

I admire Mark Hunt very much for having accepted the fight, since he just fought against Stefan Struve. I admire and appreciate it because I want to fight May 25, 2013 and that will happen thanks to him."

In Mark Hunt's last bout he win with a spectacular knockout of Stefan Struve, where he broke the jaw of his opponent and racked up four consecutive wins in the UFC. Junior dos Santos is aware of the danger that Mark Hunt presents and he said he will have a strategy that will work to win.

"Mark is a very tough guy, beating strong. I have to be very careful. He has been champion in K-1, faced the best in the world and won exchangers. I will work hard to strategy, I have learned a lot in my career. I guess now I know see things a little better and hopefully I can use it in this fight."

Junior dos Santos has a lot to praise about Mark Hunt but he is not so nice when he talks about Alistair Overeem.

"I think this guy is a joke. It is a big guy who takes apra fighting pump, and is talking a lot of nonsense. I have nothing to do with him, that he follow their career and do what it thinks best. I'll follow mine and if one day we are bumping and he does not have any problem, we fight."

At the same event, Cain Velasquez will fight against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva for the UFC Heavyweight belt, and "Cigano" has his thought on who will win the bout.

"Bigfoot is a very close friend, he will win, will be UFC champion. I'm sure it goes up from Velasquez, vai to nullify his game and knock. That's what I wanna see. It's a guy who deserves much, a good person and I think good people deserve good. He is one of the guys that I admire and I really like to have as a friend. Go for it, Big Foot."


No comments:

Post a Comment