Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chris Weidman doesn't want a new contract before his fight with Anderson Silva

Chris Weidman picture 

Chris Weidman finally got his title shot against UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva at UFC 162 on July 6, 2013 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Some people believe Weidman can earn a lot of money with this fight, but Weidman isn't even asking for a new contract. Chris Weidman told MMAjunkie.com Radio, that they're just going to keep the current contract:

I'm definitely OK with making what I was making. I think I was making $24,000 (to show) and $24,000 (as a win bonus). I want to do that because then after I beat Anderson like I plan on doing, then obviously the contract will jump up more than if I was to rip up the contract now. I'm ready to put all my eggs in one basket and put my money where my mouth is.

Weidman is very confident going into this fight, dispite only having fought 9 professional fights. But 5 of those fight were in the UFC and Weidman won them all against opponents like Alessio Sakara, Jesse Bongfeldt, Tom Lawlor, Demian Maia and Mark Munoz. People doubt he's the right man to step next into the cage with Anderson Silva but Weidman says they've always chosen the toughest fights for him.

People say I don't have that many fights, which is true, but I've never had an easy fight. Even when I was in Ring of Combat, we always wanted to get the best guys because I wanted to get that experience. Guys like Uriah Hall, who's coming up on "The Ultimate Fighter", I fought that guy in my third fight.

I put myself in a lot of risky positions fighting good guys. I could have fought 50 guys at this point and smoked every one of them, and it would be against nobodies, which a lot of guys do. But I always chose the toughest competition because I knew that was going to make me the best I could be.

Weidman is currently on a 5 fight winning streak and since there are no other options for people to fight Silva, Weidman is the next logical choice. Hardcore fans also point out Weidman's history as an NCAA Division I All-American wrestler and Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championship qualifier as reason he could possibly cause troubles for Anderson Silva.

When people hear that, it's almost like I'm talking smack. But I'm just confident, and I really believe I can win the fight. I think it's a fight that people want to see.

This is a dream fight for me. Since I got into MMA, this is the guy wanted to fight and really prove I could beat. I finally have the opportunity to do that.

I got into this fight game for one reason: to be champion. I believe this is my time. The money is going to come when I'm champion. It's not going to come before. I'm not looking for a couple of extra grand. I'm looking to make Anderson Silva money.

I want that belt. That's it. I know everything else comes with that.

Chris Weidman faces Anderson Silva at UFC 162 on July 6, 2013 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Let's hope for him he can put his money where his mouth is, because otherwise he could be disappointed for a next contract deal.

Who do you guys got for the UFC 162 title fight? Silva OR Weidman? And do you guys think it's a good choice to change his contract after the Silva fight? Leave your comment in the comment section below.




No comments:

Post a Comment